Welcome to my comic book creation page. I will explain different aspects of comic book production like: page sizes, letters, colors, design and scanning. I may even touch upon marketing and other aspects of comic creation.

Monday, November 28, 2005

:: Inexpensive 11x17 Scanner ::

Believe it. $199.99 will get you an 11x17 scanner that is great for scanning line art and greyscale and not toooooo bad on the color. Obviously its absolutly fantastic for the price. I've owned my Mustek ScanExpress A3 scanner for about three years now and have had no major issues. I scan in my line art at 450dpi and reduce the bitmap file to standard size at 600dpi. That's what Mark Chiarello suggests in DC Comics Guide to Coloring which is in the reading list above. I realize that $200 isn't super easy to come by for all you indi-creators out there, but it sure beats spending $2,000 on the next model up.

You can't beat it for the price. I haven't seen any other scanners that are 11x17 for this price. If you see one, please post it in my comments and provide links. It just is really unnecessary to spend hours scanning, cropping, rotating and fusing two scans from an 8.5"x11" scanner. I did that for a little while, but its just too time consuming. You could be drawing with your time, not wasting it.

Apparently the software doesn't run on OSX, but a fellow (E.J. Su) on digitalwebbing.com posted this link for a program that will run it.

I've been running it on my PC and it works fine. I used to run it on my OS9, but got sick of rebooting my OSX just to scan. I'll do a scanning tutorial at some point, covering lineart.